Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Find Reply

Astralseed Offline

Administrator
Threads: 432
All Accounts Posts: 1,938

11 Attached Accounts
Hey guys,
this forum is crazy slow I thought I'd drop a new thread in here.  

What are your favorite art mediums for yourself to work with, and then what are your favorites from others. 

I have my roots in traditional art, starting with colored pencils and then moving to mostly digital.  The last 2 years or so I've started doing more traditional art again and I have to admit I've missed it.  Digital has a lot of great aspects to it, but there's nothing quite as calming and relaxing as working traditionally.  
Likewise, I really appreciate traditional art from others as well.  Good digital art isn't hard to find but good traditional art can be absolutely stunning.  

How about you guys?

[Image: yd2rufct]
Beep Beep, comin' through!

Find Reply

Aedrielle Offline

Administrator
Threads: 1,404
Favorite color: Aedrielle
All Accounts Posts: 3,965

1 Attached Account
I've become a mostly digital artist through and through. I also started traditional, but found out about digital very early on and have been hooked since! I think I've been doing digital for nearly 10 years now, and while I would love to get back in to traditional at some point I just don't have the space for more than just a sketchbook to doodle in every once in a while, not stuff I'm ever really happy with. I guess I'm just addicted to the undo button lol!

But what I really want to try at some point is sculpture and 3D! 

I honestly love seeing any and all art. Every piece is so unique and amazing! Recently I have taken to watching time lapse videos on Youtube of hyper realistic traditional art and being completely amazed. The process of creating something that looks like a photograph from little daubs of paint blows my mind xD

[Image: 43946337_3JMdherxG8QKHQs.gif]

Find Reply

Astralseed Offline

Administrator

11 Attached Accounts
(12-27-2020, 05:38 AM)Aedrielle Wrote: I've become a mostly digital artist through and through. I also started traditional, but found out about digital very early on and have been hooked since! I think I've been doing digital for nearly 10 years now, and while I would love to get back in to traditional at some point I just don't have the space for more than just a sketchbook to doodle in every once in a while, not stuff I'm ever really happy with. I guess I'm just addicted to the undo button lol!

But what I really want to try at some point is sculpture and 3D! 

I honestly love seeing any and all art. Every piece is so unique and amazing! Recently I have taken to watching time lapse videos on Youtube of hyper realistic traditional art and being completely amazed. The process of creating something that looks like a photograph from little daubs of paint blows my mind xD

I wish I had the fine motor skills for sculpting.  My hands are pretty messed up and some days I count myself lucky that I can still draw at all.  Something like sculpting would be so hard for me.  
I really love the sculptures that Beth Cavener creates!  I got to see "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" in person and it was stunning and the textures are just incredible!

Find Reply

Aedrielle Offline

Administrator
Threads: 1,404
Favorite color: Aedrielle
All Accounts Posts: 3,965

1 Attached Account
@Astralseed - Wow those are amazing! I am in awe of that gorgeous work!

My hands are pretty shaky in general (thank goodness for line stabilization), but I've found that working with clay seems to be a bit more forgiving than diving in to carving wood for example (which I have found I am not at all good at lol). I was debating getting some Monster Clay as a little "Made it through 2020" treat to myself and giving it a shot... Knowing me I would try sculpting one of my Quirls first! 

Lena Danya on YouTube does amazing timelapse paintings in oil paint that I have been binge watching. They are great to have on in the background while trying to relax, though I admit I end up baffled if I look away too long xD

[Image: 43946337_3JMdherxG8QKHQs.gif]

Find Reply

Damien Offline

Threads: 121
Favorite color: DamienMuerte
I started, for sure, as a lil girl with traditional XD First typical kids works, then pencils only for a good long while. When I got my first PC I was using Paint the most, but it was very simple and didnt have much possibilities back then XD I grew into Microsoft Picture Publisher and Photoshop later (though I never found my way into the professional streak tho xD).. I havnt done much traditional then. I started using Acrylics in 2002 but Its like... 1 picture all 2-3 years? ^°:: I like it but with children its pretty difficult. If I do it, its mostly gift art.

So when I started working nightshift once a week, I first spent the time I had doing nothing (its a 1 to 1 care position, so when my boi sleeps, I got nothing to do XD) to read. Then I discovered I could draw as well and went there with coloured pencils first. At some point I stumbled over Wilsor and Newton markers and I loved them... Since then I got quite a lot Markers and Im moving over to Copics slowly. So most of my Quirls art is not Traditionally. Sure, when I put a looot of work into a digital piece, I can make it look very pretty, but Traditional has so much advantages for me now.. I have something good to do in night shift, I dont have to spend my freetime XD,- I am much faster than with digital art and I wont kill my back with it.

^__^

Find Reply

Astralseed Offline

Administrator

11 Attached Accounts
(12-27-2020, 05:06 PM)Damien Wrote: I started, for sure, as a lil girl with traditional XD  First typical kids works, then pencils only for a good long while. When I got my first PC I was using Paint the most, but it was very simple and didnt have much possibilities back then XD  I grew into Microsoft Picture Publisher and Photoshop later (though I never found my way into the professional streak tho xD)..    I havnt done much traditional then. I started using Acrylics in 2002 but Its like... 1 picture all 2-3 years?  ^°::  I like it but with children its pretty difficult. If I do it, its mostly gift art.

So when I started working nightshift once a week, I first spent the time I had doing nothing (its a 1  to 1 care position, so when my boi sleeps, I got nothing to do XD) to read. Then I discovered I could draw as well and went there with coloured pencils first. At some point I stumbled over Wilsor and Newton markers and I loved them... Since then I got quite a lot Markers and Im moving over to Copics slowly.  So most of my Quirls art is not Traditionally. Sure, when I put a looot of work into a digital piece, I can make it look very pretty, but Traditional has so much advantages for me now..  I have something good to do in night shift, I dont have to spend my freetime XD,-  I am much faster than with digital art and I wont kill my back with it. 

^__^

Yeah, one of my favorite things about traditional art is I can do it anywhere!  I am not confined to my desk.  I can sit on the couch and watch a movie or show, or just relax and take it easy with the dogs etc.

Find Reply

Astralseed Offline

Administrator

11 Attached Accounts
(12-27-2020, 06:29 AM)Aedrielle Wrote: @Astralseed - Wow those are amazing! I am in awe of that gorgeous work!

My hands are pretty shaky in general (thank goodness for line stabilization), but I've found that working with clay seems to be a bit more forgiving than diving in to carving wood for example (which I have found I am not at all good at lol). I was debating getting some Monster Clay as a little "Made it through 2020" treat to myself and giving it a shot... Knowing me I would try sculpting one of my Quirls first! 

Lena Danya on YouTube does amazing timelapse paintings in oil paint that I have been binge watching. They are great to have on in the background while trying to relax, though I admit I end up baffled if I look away too long xD

Wood carving seems so cool!  I'm always impressed when I see videos of people making wood carvings, especially those really large and intricate ones.  There's no way I wouldn't hurt myself trying that though lol.  Clay is hard on my hands because it flares up my carpal tunnel syndrome and then my hands hurt and I have no grip and they get wonky and I just can't win.

Find Reply

Dorkestdoodles Offline

Local Smooth Brain
Threads: 71
Favorite color: DorkestDoodles
I personally enjoy working with a lot of different kinds! Some of the best ones I enjoy the most is pens and crayon based products! Something more free-flow and loose is what really makes me happy and I won't have to worry about too much wasting expensive products so I can just have a good time!

Search: