Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Find Reply

Aedrielle Offline

Administrator
Threads: 1,406
Favorite color: Aedrielle
All Accounts Posts: 3,979

1 Attached Account
So on first read, I like a lot of your ideas! 

I'm going to go through in a similar fashion to your own post just to make sure I hit the major points. I will also be playing a bit of devils advocate Smile  For the purpose of this response I will be referencing the current magic system as the "Original", and the system you propose as the "New". 

---

Magic Points & System Change

Addressing these two in the same blurb. 
The most time consuming and difficult thing in my personal opinion would be the conversion process. Creating a new magic system, and figuring out how to best handle the conversion for the existing Quirlicorns, as well as existing members having a new magic system to learn (on top of our recent change to using the website) would add a lot more to members & admins plates. While it does allow older players to continue using the Original magic system to whatever ends they please, keeping track of a multitude of lesser magics, what their levels are, and what they are capable of at each level could potentially lead to misunderstandings in the magic system. Even experienced members find themselves double checking what magic can do at each level - now imagine, for example, entering a Joust (or in the future Land Battles), getting paired with a Quirlicorn with a bunch of magics unlocked at various levels, and figuring out what ways the magic could interact and how best to display the Quirls in question. 

Another thing that comes to mind is the fact that you can gain a wide variety of magic by leveling your Quirl and participating in events. For example, my girl Khaalida has 24 magics unlocked fully at this time. Granted, that is looking at a deity status Quirl as an example. I leveled her how I wanted her story to progress, then I used a Phoenix Touch on her to change what I wanted and gave her a wide variety of magic, plus those she gained from events & such. Besides gaining more guardians and doing more events, she is at a pretty happy level of magic where I feel she could do a whole heck of a lot for her land. 
There is already several routes you can go with the current magic system, and ways to change it if you realize you don't like what you have. Why go through the trouble of creating a new system, keeping track of a bunch of different lower level/unmastered magics, and potentially ending up with misunderstandings of a more complex magic system if you can already gain a lot of magic via dedicating time to a character and participating in events? 

I'm pushing the devils advocate in this section because I would love to hear your further feedback on how the system itself could be fleshed out to both be easy to understand and keep track of. While I do like the idea, I feel like it would need some more polishing to really make it shine. 

Weaknesses

I love the idea of weaknesses identified for each region. While it might not mean much for members who aren't huge into the character building side of things, for those who are it would make it a nice way to develop more complex characters with dynamic magic. 
However, 'keeping track' of where a Quirl has been and using that as a way to define how strong their magic is could once again, get complicated. In regards to pvp/character battles, I feel like it would be better suited to the land the Quirls are *currently* in rather than where they have been. Following your example - 

Desert Region
Amplified: Desert Magics
Weaker: Windy Magics
Neutral: All Other

In a simple 1v1 tradeoff for the regions, it wouldn't put too much of a disadvantage on All Regions Quirlicorns traveling through who happen to battle. It would also help keep the "Oh well my Quirl was in X Land" claims that may or may not be true to boost magics. 
In the case of a battle in the desert - any desert magic is stronger, any windy magic is weaker (in this example, because fire requires oxygen to thrive). On the flip side, a battle in the Icy Region Icy would be stronger, and Fire Weaker, because water can put out flames. 

Idea for the Strength/Weaknesses when in the specific regions: 
Desert - Desert Magic is Stronger, Windy is Weaker
Icy - Icy Magic is Stronger, Desert is Weaker
Swamp - Swamp Magic is Stronger, Mountains Magic is Weaker
Windy - Windy Magic is Stronger, Plains is Weaker
Plains - Plains Magic is Stronger, Icy Magic is Weaker
Mountains - Mountains Magic is stronger, Swamp is Weaker. 

Why I suggested them that way: 
Playing off the Elements of Fire, Earth, Water, Wind, Light and Dark. Mountains in this case would stand in for Light, and Swamp for dark. 

Anyway back to my original point. Having the base strengths/weaknesses for each region would play into how Quirls choose to react to certain situations, and what magics they used.
However, then you look at 'Natural' Quirls. Naturals are locked into one region until 250 Chimes, when they can choose gain a Mutation gene. So they cannot pick from all types of magic like an All Regions Mutation Quirl could. From a purely RP/Character building side of things, that does put a Quirl either at an advantage or disadvantage. But then again, one could go back with a PT later down the line and change up the magics after their mutation gene is unlocked.

Guardians

So on the note of Guardians and their various regions. It does make sense to balance the guardians in some form. I am for the idea of adding more kinds of mythical guardians, and balancing out the number of guardians for each region and what they can protect against. There are are current several curses that do not have a specific Guardian attached to them and require a 'regular' guardian to get rid of. 
However, since each guardian protects against something different, more unique and perhaps generalized features like you stated would be interesting indeed. 
Perhaps, using the Kirin for example, one could receive 'Kirin traits' and one lesser magic of their region (and/or choosing if all regions). In popular media the Kirin has been seen in many forms (traditional, Ice Kirin, Fire Kirin, yadda yadda) so playing off that something along those lines could work quite nicely. 
Along those same lines, guardians that protect against a curse that is seen in several regions could instead gift a magic of the Quirlicorns home region. (Kirin's and Griffin's protect against plague and famine respectively. Once again in the case of the Kirin, it could gift a lesser magic of that region. Griffins already have clairvoyance so that would be something to potentially change down the line.)

More feedback into Guardians would be needed in my opinion to see what best would work to change in that aspect though Smile 

Closing Thoughts

While I do like many of the ideas that you have put forth, I feel like more refinement would be necessary before any can be put into action. I also feel like some balance and learning curve would be needed, perhaps a compromise along the way (Quirlicorns must first master one magic before being able to dabble in whatever they please?) to fully figure out how best it could work for everyone. Having a set of elemental strengths and weaknesses based off region could make a more interesting dynamic to how we play our characters, and revamping the Guardians to have less overlap and more variety for magic and gifts could create a very interesting options for when Quirlicorns get land and dealing with their various curses that come along with it. 
I mainly played the devils advocate along my initial few read throughs of your suggestion because I do truly like the idea of more dynamic options, but I feel like in some ways you can achieve a lot of that through the normal Chime system if you play your cards right, and if not, there is the Phoenix Touch. 

I look forward to hearing more ideas and feedback! It is *cough* after my bed time and I may have missed or overlooked some aspects Smile

[Image: 43946337_3JMdherxG8QKHQs.gif]

Search: